Spunkerella's Blog

Monday, January 10, 2011

GOD (4 1/2 YRS OLD)

One of momma and S's most frequently discussed topic is God, Heaven and the soul. Today, the converstation innocently started with, "Does everyone celebrate Christmas?" Momma responded with "No, not everyone celebrate Christmas." S asked "why?" "Well, some people don't celebrate the birthday of Jesus," responded Momma. Again, "why?" asked S. "People have different religion and for some people, that means celebrating something else, instead of Jesus's birthday," momma responded, hoping that would be sufficient for S.

S followed up with asking if momma believed in God. (Momma thinks it's because momma tried to explain once that Jesus was God's son). Momma said "yes" and asked if S believed in God. S said, "yes." She followed it up with, "Does everyone believe in God?" "No" said Momma, "not everyone believe in God." "Does Aunt Fiona believe in God?" "No" said Momma. "Does Talia believe in God?" "I don't think so since Aunt Fiona doesn't believe in God," says momma.

S logically asks, "Why don't they believe in God?" "Well," momma says, "Remember the time you said God was invisible. I think because God is invisible it is hard for some people to believe in God." Momma added that "Aunt Fiona use to go to church as a child and maybe believed in God then, but grew up and decided to not believe in God."

S was a bit confused and responded with "I believe in God and when I grow up I will be believe in God too." Momma responded with, "I hope you believe in God when you grow up, but if you don't, that will be up to you. I know that my belief has helped me and I hope it will help you, too."

Momma wonders if other parents go through the same things with their kids.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talia loves my bible stories. I want her to know about it, even though I don't believe any of it. It is part of culture, just like other myths/celebrations etc.
Fiona

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home